Bassology

2009/11/11

Another Veterans Day


I hate to admit it but since we don't get Veterans Day off anymore, it tends to slip my mind. Don't get me wrong, I love my country and am very, VERY grateful to the men and women who sacrifice to give me my daily freedoms, now and past. When we first got Veteran's Day taken away as a holiday I was really ticked off. Hello - we are a state run institution and we are taking away Veteran's Day?!?! That just didn't make any sense to me. Instead they gave us an extra Personal Preference Leave day. At that time I swore I would use one of the two days on Veteran's Day but years later, alas my preference days have been used as sick time.

I honor the men in my life who have given all, who continue to sacrifice and those who wouldn't do anything else. My father, Vaughn Terry; my nephew in laws, John McKeown and Caleb Heder; my friends, Jason Blood, Rod Miller, Mark Howell, Mark Baxter, Jeff Anderson, Byron Peterson. I am sure I have forgotten someone and I don't mean to, you are all honorable men and I am proud to know each of you. I am grateful for wives and families who miss their dad or give their dad so that I can complain when I am cold but have the right to raise my flag this day.

Living within 5 miles of Hill Air Force Base, it has never bothered me when the jets have flown over. I hear it and smile...being the last born in a family of Army brats I never remember living on base. But my dad taught me to be proud of my heritage, my country, and what we stand for. So I love seeing a man in uniform, get a little upset when they shame that uniform - love hearing the jets and planes fly by and practice, for I know that one day they may need those manuevers to protect me.

It may sound corny but anyone that really knows me knows its true, I am definately proud to be an American, and all that stands for.

1 comment:

Caleb and Danyelle Heder said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.