Different thoughts keep running through my mind yet they all have to do with the same word ... respect.
I am not so staunch anymore to where I took up the fight anytime I saw someone disrespecting anything - my PTSD has done that to me. I sit back more as to not purposefully trigger my fight or flight because I will stand and fight and it will hurt me. My instinct now though is flight, get away from the confrontation but I am too stubborn for that; therefore, not only am I wrestling with myself and trying to tamp down that response, I am carving myself up inside by staying in the confrontation. Why must things be a confrontation? Because we are all human, no one likes to be told they are doing something wrong and why does that person feel they can tell you anything?
This is one of my points, respect. Can you see how it is missing these days? You are no longer allowed to give instruction on the way something should be done for that infringes upon their "rights" and individual freedoms. So how does anyone learn what is right and what is wrong? People are born with a conscience yet some have gauges that are slightly off in that department. If you cannot teach by word, I ask we start teaching by example.
Again, respect. Are little things you do everyday teaching it or teaching it's okay to not have it? Thought process examples: This is my neighborhood, I can run around and play in the neighbors yard whether they are home or not, without permission, maybe I trampled a couple of flowers or threw their rocks but hey this is MY playground. This is a sore subject with many who have little kids, I heard it when my kids were little. Neighbors don't mind, etc etc. Possibly neighbors don't want a confrontation because they are neighbors. When on walks do we stick to the sidewalk staying off lawns and flowers, cleaning up after the dog that is with you? Do we simply let our pets outdoors with no regard as to whose yard they take care of their business in? Have you ever said, That's not your yard? Don't get me wrong, my house was the neighborhood house, plus the cub scout house for over 14 yrs. During that time I had MANY occasions to help little boys from the neighborhood and girls realize they weren't in THEIR own homes, they were in MINE. They weren't in their own yard, they were in MINE - thank you for breaking that board in my fence deliberately with your hammer, it doesn't matter that it looked worn, it was holding out until I could replace it. Kids played night games and often used my back yard until I caught them, from than on, they asked permission - wow, an amazing idea. That is my point, don't get all mad because I said your kids are in the neighbors yard, simply ask.
Thought example: This concert is soooooooo boring, I think I'll text my best friend, if I hunch over no one will see the light and you really don't mind if I share this thought with you right this minute right? I took my daughter to an Orchestra Concert for her mid-term project. I was appalled at her behavior. Her feet went up on the auditorium seat in front her, she texted, she whispered (thankfully whispered not talked).... AHHHH! Okay, I already have a problem with her sitting like a young lady wherever we are and I will continue to work on that process - ugh. People put in HOURS of practice to entertain people who DO want to be there, both the performers and their parents, audience deserve to listen in peace and quiet. Cell phones should be banned from such venue's, although I know many people use them for directions and pictures of the performances. Again, not only has someone's time been spent preparing for this event, but most likely (if at the movies) you have paid good money to be there, and TIME to be there and enjoy.
It simply feels that no one has respect for anyone anymore. It has turned into a world of total ME, ME, ME all the time. I can't respect anyone else's rights because it doesn't agree with MY opinion. I need to be first, I need to be included, I need to be entertained - it is all about the ME's and I's and no longer inclusive of family or community. Maybe more of us, myself included, should be more careful of how and what we do, for more than little eyes are watching - big ones are too. When mistakes are made, simply correct and move on, no one is perfect.
Paix
No comments:
Post a Comment