This is Born to Beat or BTOB. Interestingly enough my daughter got into KPOP by watching a youtubers react and seeing an EXO video. No, EXO is NOT one that we listen to on any regular basis; however, she showed her cousin who started looking into groups, found BTOB and the rest is history.
BTOB is not as widely known as most KPOP groups and it makes us sad, they are all really, REALLY talented guys. There are 4 vocalist and 3 rappers; however, the rappers sing incredibly well also. A few have branched out into acting also, we are hoping that they will become more popular and yes, I admit, we fan girl whenever someone acknowledges them as a group or one of the members.
Hey, I know how weird it sounds, I'm a 45 yr old married woman with a married son and my youngest the obsessed teenager with KPOP. It just happens. Honestly there is no other way to describe it, one day your daughter is showing you a KPOP video and because it isn't your culture or normal, you may at first glance wonder why they look like girls. After about the fourth video you've stopped that, then she shows you a couple of them singing in English by themselves, she only watches their videos when you are together and now it is everyday life. Now, seeing them without their eyeliner is weird to me, there is no way in HELL I would ever call these hot Asian men girls and I myself admit to having a few favorite groups and some biases. Sigh... it happens.
http://misskpop.weebly.com/btob-profile.html This lady does a great job at introducing people to groups, giving their profiles.
The leader/vocalist/oldest of BTOB is Eunkwang or affectionally known in our house as Ducky. (no not like NCIS) We had a hard time at first saying and pronouncing some of their names so they received pet names from my daughter and her cousin. Eunkwang is the blonde, 3rd in from the right and my bias in this group. Certain people have voices that just grab me and his is one. I found a couple of videos on my own of him competing in like a "blind voice" type thing, yes I fan girled when they introduced him and opened the doors so he could finish the song, he said he had done it so that others would hopefully start taking him seriously as a vocalist, he took 3rd place. (smile)
The lead rapper/2nd oldest/face of BTOB is Lee Minhyuk. He is the very center of the picture above. There are actually three other Minhyuk's that are in KPOP groups so we like to keep him separate. I don't remember his nickname as he is my daughter's bias in this group (2nd bias overall) and he has always been Minhyuk. Before he became a trainee and joined BTOB, he was an underground rapper by the name of Heota. It is rumored he is bringing back a bit of Heota, it is evidenced in his season 3 I'll be your Melody. Minhyuk is my preferred bias for my daughter - don't get me wrong, I have enormous respect for ALL these idols of these groups, they work harder than anyone I've ever heard of or seen reports on. For this mom though, the fact that he doesn't have tat's (I like tats don't get grumpy with me!), has no piercings - states he will never have either- tells me a level of dedication and respect for his body most just don't think to have. He does many sports, self proclaims his talent to be seeing a dance once and being able to do it after. He seems to be a perfectionist and seems to have an innocence about him, so, yeah, he would be my preference. His voice singing or rapping makes my daughter smile on a bad day - can't ask more than that. (smile)
2nd Rapper of BTOB Ilhoon. He is directly behind Minhyuk on the left. He is my niece's bias in this group. Ilhoon's older sister is also an Idol, a talented, close family as seen on one of the award shows as his sister ended up next to him and he held her hand and walked with her off the stage. (smile) He has started doing raps for other idols singles, he is very talented and I used to HATE rap. The fact that these men have me listening to rap says PLENTY - I listen to all music and used to add, except Rap - well, I can't say that anymore. I hate to give the other group members less talk time than another but honestly, I know the most about Minhyuk (obviously), then Eungwang and Ilhoon.
3rd Rapper of BTOB Peniel, first on the right. He's AMERICAN (smiles), no that isn't the only good thing about him but as an American it does mean we gladly claim him.
Vocalist of BTOB, Sungjae - first on the left. I have to admit I didn't know much about him, he is one that has grown on me and won me over. He is the macknae (youngest) of the group. He is also an amazing actor and extremely humble and dedicated young man. How man American actors do you know that were in a boy band would introduce themselves at an acting interview as, "I am Sungjae from BTOB". That started it, then I heard his cover of Junsu's (another of my bias) Yesterday - it was amazing and I melted, he's won me over.
Vocalist of BTOB, Changsub, 2nd in from left. Again, a member that grew on me. I can only claim naivete with him he and Sungjae. Too many times listening to the songs and not knowing who was singing. Like I said, all these guys are so talented, could have solo careers if they so wanted. I've started paying closer attention now to who is singing and hey, it's only taken me 9 months but I can finally tell them ALL apart. (amazing for me, don't knock it, I'm still working on other groups)
Vocalist of BTOB, Hyunsik, 2nd in on right. Favorably known in my house as kitten, lol. Hey, its not an easy name for us but we have overcome our disability with saying it. (smile) Confession time, it was Hyunsik's Moondance in English that won me over to KPOP. Yep, again, these voices, I just can't explain.
I posted video's if anyone is still with me and reading, I know that there are things that people just sort of roll their eyes at and don't explore any further. That is fine, for those that are still here and click on any of the video's below, you are in for a treat. BTOB call their fans Melodies. Each year when they do a "comeback" (America's version of releasing a new album) each member releases an I'll be your Melody song for their fans. sigh ♥ enough fangirling enjoy BTOB, maybe you'll become a Melody. (smile)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqKk_B40y3c (Hyunsik singing Moondance)
(Changsub I will be your Melody Season 2)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ui1v1oqizRE (Sungjae I will be your Melody Season 2)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvYULh4YCoQ (Minhyuk I will be your Melody Season 2)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erJ1lzOxN-s (Peniel I will be your Melody Season 2 - Jason Mraz cover)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aC3c2jdGozY (Ilhoon I will be your Melody Season 2)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpbutHmMgUE (Eunkwang I will be your Melody Season 3)
My daughter and I differ on which video to show first lol - I pick this one, from their Complete album.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4rN5Y7Dx_I (It's Okay)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXcUXWL1mJA (WOW, Pressplay album) My favorite.
A group with many faces and for all ages as you can see by the last video. Yes, KPOP groups like animal onsies... hmm, Eunkwang is Donald Duck(ie) (wink). One of the things I love about them, that they are versatile for multiple ages.. they pretty much just rock in my house. ♥ a Melody




No comments:
Post a Comment