Bassology

2008/12/16

They shared with others... by Kenneth S Bennion



The raw November wind whipped needles of snow as it funneled between the old college buildings. The custodian, hurrying to work in the early morning, pulled tight the turned-up collar of his thin overcoat and bent his head to the wind.

A businessman parked his car and then paused to watch the man as he brought out a scoop shovel and began to clear the walks. Then the executive went on to his office. In a few minutes the phone rang in the office of the school administrator. "I'm Brother Lewis of the publications office. I watched your custodian this morning. He was wearing a very thin overcoat. Do you think that is the best coat he has for the winter?"

"Probably so," was the answer. "I have seen him wear no other."

"All right," said the official. "I have a coat that is slightly worn. It is really too heavy for me. I'll bring it to your office tomorrow."

The next day, when he brought the coat he said, "Tell him it is his to keep--- the coat and whatever is in it. But don't tell him where it comes from. I pass him every day and I don't want him to feel under any obligation when he sees me."

Later, the custodian tried on the coat and beamed with satisfaction when he noted its quality, the way it fit around his throat and the warm, heavy lining. He thrust his hands into the pockets and in surprise, pulled out a five dollar bill.

"Look at this!" he cried. "I must find out who gave me the coat so I can return the money."

He was reassured that the money was purposely left there for him. Smiling with happiness, he wore the coat away, his money clutched in his hand. Here were gifts to help keep him warm through the long months ahead. The man who gave the coat was also glowing with a new warmth, because he had provided comfort for a man who needed it.

No comments: