
I guess it was PTSD awareness day earlier this week. A marine wife who has recently been abused by her husband with PTSD posted and wanted to know everyone's thoughts about PTSD with no arguements. Since PTSD is fairly new with everyone - only the last 30 yrs been around, I decided that I would try to explain some things. Most people are aware the PTSD stands for Post Traumatic Syndrome and are a little aware of what the symptoms are; however, the question I hate the most is: "So why do you have PTSD?" 0.o....It's bad enough having it let alone having to explain it. The question sounds more like an accusation than a concern for my welfare, like they think I've made it all up and am just looking for attention. First off, you really CAN'T fake PTSD, it can totally ruin your life and those that you love - there are better ways to get attention. Second, everyone reacts to everything differently - don't judge me. No one knows what goes on behind ANY closed door unless I decide to tell you and if I have it, I sure as heck DO NOT want to explain it - it makes me relive it and puts me back about 5 steps in my healing process.
Post-traumatic stress disorder is a type of anxiety disorder. It can occur after you've seen or experienced a traumatic event that involved the threat of injury or death. Symptoms of PTSD fall into three main categories:
1. "Reliving" the event, which disturbs day-to-day activity
Flashback episodes, where the event seems to be happening again and again
Repeated upsetting memories of the event
Repeated nightmares of the event
Strong, uncomfortable reactions to situations that remind you of the event
2. Avoidance
Emotional "numbing," or feeling as though you don't care about anything
Feeling detached
Being unable to remember important aspects of the trauma
Having a lack of interest in normal activities
Showing less of your moods
Avoiding places, people, or thoughts that remind you of the event
Feeling like you have no future
3. Arousal
Difficulty concentrating
Startling easily
Having an exaggerated response to things that startle you
Feeling more aware (hypervigilance)
Feeling irritable or having outbursts of anger
Having trouble falling or staying asleep
The only treatments besides drugs to help with the "symptoms" is a good social support group and "desensitizing" which encourages you to relive the trauma and talk about it.
I've written about it, I've talked about it, I've seen a psychologist, my drug "cocktail" is finally down to only 2 pills a day. However, my immune system is crashing which explains the systemic candidias, the constant sinus/ear infections, and sounding like I've smoked for 20 yrs due to my asthma. Most don't know but yes, I was one of those that were the 1 in 500 born with almost no immune system. Luckily my father was in the military and it was 40 yrs ago so I received Gamma Globulin shots every 2 weeks for the first 2 yrs of my life, than it went to every month, than every other month until I was 8 yrs old. To most that know me well and didn't know that, a lot of things you thought were peculiar or irrational about me now should make perfect sense. :) Like my unlike of Dr's of ANY kind, my fear of Dr offices, and don't EVER let me see a shot needle. Gamma globulin injections are usually given in an attempt to temporarily boost a patient's immunity against disease. Injections are also used to boost immunity in patients who cannot produce gamma globulins naturally because of an immune deficiency.
I've had PTSD now for 4 yrs. I am FINALLY able to say that to people and here, even though I've always known I had it. Time is one of the best healers. For me, time and my reflexologist who helps keep my immune system going and my adrenals at a normal level. I should really see her once a week for the latter but money-wise that isn't possible so that's okay. When you have PTSD, your Adrenals or your "fight or flight" adrenaline never shuts down...one of the reasons it is a high anxiety disorder. I've forever tried to explain to people how my reflexologist has helped me with my PTSD and finally I can say, she helps to center me. She helps "awaken" the moods and emotions that the PTSD has tried to shut down. She helps to quiet down my Adrenals that scream constantly and therefore, allows me to get SOME sleep and amount of relaxation. I see nothing listed above for PTSD that talks about abusive behavior - abusive behavior is a learned behavior.
No comments:
Post a Comment