
My blog is being weird, I hope I have it straightened out now. I went looking for one picture and of course, found many others that I wanted to scan into the computer as well. =] Oh well. The photo didn't have the line down the center, my scanner must not like polariods. (funny enough, neither does my blog dictionary - ha)
I've the video and heard the song a few times: Miranda Lambert, The House that Built Me. My family being a military family I believe that I might be the only one out of eight that can make that claim on any of the homes we ever lived in. We moved to Nephi when I had just turned 8; that means that Denise was 13, Reba 15, and Mimi 16 (not quite 17). The only other one who lived in this house for awhile would be Reba. I moved out when I was 18, a month later my parents bought me a car - in my name =P (yep handed me the paymnt book and everything) and said USE IT. So I lived away from home but went home every Friday night and back to SL Sat nights - until I got married almost 3 yrs later.
There are certain things in your life that you just assume will always be a constant....your parents, their home, your spouse, and your family. Three weeks ago I found out from my brother that they were losing the house. When my dad retired due to cancer, my parents remained in Nephi for another three to five years and did volunteer work at the Manti Temple. My dad, without realizing it, asked my mom where she would finally like to live...she picked Davis County where 4 of her 8 children lived. (actually 6 of us live here now) They started building without having sold the home in Nephi. Upon my dad's death they had still not been able to sell the home in Nephi, my brother with the largest family, purchased the home from my mother. Now, after my mom has been gone for 4 yrs, the house is leaving the family also. Yes, I realize it is just a house, a tangible item that wears away with time, while my memories last forever.
I suppose, this is written in the context of the song mentioned above. Age 8 to 18 - that's the major part of being built as a person, there are many, many memories tied to that old home. Some good, some bad, some funny, and some that made me swear I would NEVER live in another small town. (and I don't.) When we first moved to Nephi, I remember seeing RED everywhere - that was the color of the carpet and parts of the wallpaper that adorned the house. Cherished memories that can be triggered or easily brought to the surface; power outages for 3 days, the natural gas truck the pulled up to the basement window, the old basement that we SWORE someone was buried behind a wall, the bats in the attic and porch top, the wonderful front porch, the REAL, sweet, cool grass during summer, the majestic tree's that surrounded and dwarfed the house, the HUGE piles of autumn leaves, the roses that lined the long driveway, the irises that lined the front fence, the painful cactus garden >.<, every Memorial Day and Labor Day as work in the yard days, family parties, frisbee's landing on the roof, the good friends, wonderful neighbors, pets, and hauntings. As with any other person, I am made up from all this and more. As the house reverts back to being empty, as it was when we moved in, I hope that someone else who has a love of all things old, will come to cherish it and build more memories for a family. ♥
1 comment:
when my dad told me, I was sad. many memories at that house, many scary stories told, and creaky floorboards. the ghost stories, the hallways that seemed way too long, and I really didn't get to see the basement until about 5 years ago...never brave enough to go down there. :) creeepy. but it was awesome. :)
Post a Comment