Bassology

2008/09/20

I can't believe I forgot =[


With everything going on, I acknowledged and recognized my Dad's birthday on his birthday but totally forgot to put it on my blog. Ugh, always a day late and a dollar short I guess - lol, he used to say that.

Growing up we all have memories of our parents that we soon rather not. Punishments, taskmasters, stern, etc etc etc. Whatever my memories, my parents did something right, for I feel that I didn't turn out so bad. Therefore, on Sept 11, 1926 my dad was born. His birthday now marks a mournful day for the USA and as a 25 yr Veteran, had he lived to see it, he would have been horrified. So, last week my dad would have been 82. WOW - he's been gone for 10 yrs now, he died when I was 28, with a 4 yr old and a 2 yr old. They don't really remember much of him which makes me sad, my daughter did not know him at all. So, I would like to put a few "good, funny, touching" memories of my dad here, to celebrate his life and birthday.

He LOVED Calvin & Hobbs and Bugs Bunny. When he started getting sick, Anthony would crawl up into his lap and they would watch Bugs Bunny together and laugh.

He was the animal vet at the house and on the farm. From military experience he could stitch up any fowl, rub vaseline on it, and campo-phenic cured ANYTHING but stung like **ll!

He would hatch the duck and chicken eggs in an incubator in the basement, he loved all animals.

He was a "jack of all trades". He could do many things and there wasn't anything he wouldn't try.

He had a very strange sense of humor, once we realized that he actually HAD one!

My mom was the love of his life and even if he was gone for an occasion, he would pre-order flowers so that she knew she was never forgotten and always on his mind.

His common catch phrases were: Bonehead!, Well I'll be a swiss aviator!, Terry's Rouse!, that soundtracks wrong, and Press On. For the longest time, Press On was how he said I love you - until he finally learned to say it when he was in his late 60's.

My dad always had an uncanny knack of "knowing" about his girls love lives. Which young man was "best" and what relationship would and wouldn't work out. My dad met Dean the "NIGHT" before our wedding because of his work schedule. When my mom told him I was engaged over the phone, he calmly replied, "What's his name?" and when he met him, "We expect great things from you young man". That's it, he knew. And after that he treated Dean just like he was his own son, for that he and I will forever be grateful.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY D.O.D, I miss you
and your wisdom.

2 comments:

Caleb and Danyelle Heder said...

I love hearing stories like that about grandpa! Sadly I don't remember much, the only real memory I have of grandpa is that everytime we would go over to visit him, he would always come outside with a big jar of candy for us to pick some out, and he would always tell us to eat lots of peanut butter!
Thanks for sharing all the stories, they mean a lot!

CharlieJo said...

what a beautiful post. thanks for sharing Kathee. I was only starting to really know grandpa when he died. I wish I could have known him more, all the stories I hear are amazing.