
As I was tweaking the blog I remembered something that I knew I wouldn't for next week's tweak. So, I decided to post it instead.
My father was a very charismatic man. Good looking, well mannered, and due to the military had a definant PRESENCE wherever he went - he commanded attention. I don't ever really remember seeing my dad in his dress uniform or fatigues - he retired from the military when I was two. However, something must have left an impression at an early age, as I LOVE to see men in uniform! I can't help feel proud of what they are doing and the way they look.

Anyhow, back to my subject =].... part of my dad's charisma - to me - was that he sang. He had a deep baritone and he sang around the house, while he was working at chores, with my brothers at family functions and he used to sing solo's in church. I so LOVED listening to my dad sing. My favorite solo's he sang was "I walked today where Jesus walked" and "Jerusalem". I still can hear my dad's voice singing when someone else sings either song - very bittersweet. I so wish we'd gotten a chance to tape my brothers and dad sing "Brightly Beams" - accapella and 4 part harmony. It was the sweetest thing and we heard it often at family celebrations.
There is this little thing called pride and self prejudice. Many, many people used to come up to my dad and comment on how wonderful his song was or thank you for singing. My father LOVED music - =] ever wondered where I got it from? That is, until the one Sunday when I think I was 11 or 12, he sang a solo in church and recorded it. He sang Jerusalem, I can still picture that Sunday in my mind. We went home after church like every other Sunday but dad put the tape in when we got home. He didn't even listen to the entire song.... he said how horrible he sounded, how people must be tone-deaf, and that he would never sing in public again. And he didn't. No more choir, no more solo's, no more singing while he worked unless (like me) he didn't think anyone could hear him or he'd whistle only.
Now, how many grandkids reading this, knew that Grandpa used to sing? I'm 5 yrs older than the oldest of you so only the 5 oldest would have ever heard him or you might remember when we could coax him to sing with your dad's at a family function. Pride and Self-Predjudice.... what are they keeping you from doing that you love?
3 comments:
now that you mention it I totally remember him singing. =] seems like all the boys got it from him too, cause I can picture James, my dad, and John doing the same thing. =] they all have good voices.
I agree with em- I can remember grandpa singing!
Hey - our craft day is not through our ward, it is some nice lady who does everything and you only hear about it by word of mouth. I LOVED craft day. wish they would let us have one!
Also - do you still have our steamer? are you done using it? Any chance we can get that back? :) Love you!
Just wanted to drop a line and say hey and I love ya. ;)
Post a Comment