Bassology

2008/10/13

Poetry


Poems have always been a part of my life. Every Monday night at Family Home Evening, my father would have each child recite a poem before the lesson. In younger years - that took awhile! He he. So it is no wonder that like singing, I write poetry. The last time I can really remember sitting down before now and writing it was when Anthony was a baby. I had feelings about being a new mother and needed a way to express it.

Grandma used to say that I had to be careful what I wrote, I often times show too much emotion. But nonetheless, she loved to read my poems and would say that when I really had something to express they were beautiful. Another secret no one knows? Like my beautiful niece Lisa Mckeown, I have had a poem published in a book. However, you would have to search LONG and HARD to find it as I was about 17. Ha ha.

If the eyes are the window to the soul, than I believe that the pen is the window to the heart. People express themselves in many different ways with pen - pictures, journals, stories, scrapbooks, and poetry. It isn't always about a real life situation; it can sometimes be about a fear, a fantasy, or dealing with the world around them. I'm grateful to a father who instilled in me a love of poetry and all that is good and beautiful in the world. Teenage years were horrid in my eyes for me and therefore they are filled with page upon page of poetry and journal entries. As I look at the world around me; the stress, anxiety, and turmoil around us - I am truely blessed with a way to express myself and bring peace back to an aching heart and a searching soul.

No comments: