Dean texted me at 3 pm today to tell me that Grandma had passed away. I've been with my sister all day and the kids due to her son's birthday party. Now, sitting at home with Dean on the phone/computer making travel plans, confirming funeral details with his parents it's starting to get real. I have to be able to handle this funeral - I just may be overly doped up to do it. Dean's grandma accepted me as her granddaughter in full force when I married Dean. I felt more love from that woman, only compared to my own parents. No, sorry, I don't feel it from my in-laws - not the siblings or the parents but that's okay. Grandma was 5 yrs older than my dad and when they met at our wedding they hit it off and were instantly friends. Same generation, same guidelines growing up, you name it. It was always fun when grandma would come visit to see her and my dad or her and my mom sitting over in a corner having a conversation and laughing. Like my dad, grandma didn't laugh often. I have heard over the past 20 yrs that she had a hard childhood, followed by a harder adult life - sounds alot like my mom's mother...getting married to get out of the frying pan only to end up in the fire. Grandma outlasted her parents, two husbands, and a boyfriend. I'm not sure what her reunion is like but I know she will love seeing her boyfriend- the one who saved her life 4 yrs ago again. According to family she was stubborn, slightly OCD, and very persnickety. Okay yeah so - aren't we all in some ways? Grandma never showed those sides to me, of course we didn't live right in the next town either.
My memories of Eledice....may she rest in peace and love. Grandma used to play hide and seek with my boys when she was in her 70's. Grandma would sit at the dinner table with us and laugh at me trying to teach two boy toddlers table manners. Grandma would always make her homemade chocolate chip cookies to send home with us each time we came to visit. She always had her camera, her kisses, and her arms ready. I remember she used to drink potassium each day. Each year until the final 2 yrs each member of our little family would receive a card for each holiday and birthdays, on Christmas the kids would receive chocolate advent calendars. When Grandma got ready to move out of her apt that she'd had for over 30 yrs she started divvying up her items. It was my honor to receive her one Christmas book to add to my collection, "A Cup of Christmas Tea". For the first couple of years after she sent it to me I would call on Christmas Eve and read her her story. I will miss you grandma, more than you know. Love you.
No comments:
Post a Comment