I've been thinking recently how Faith and Hope differ. So, I'm going to look up the definitions....
HOPE: the feeling that what is wanted can be had or that events will turn out for the best
FAITH: confidence or trust in a person or thing
Okay, they are related...yet vastly different. I could have "hope" in a friend accomplishing something; however, having "faith" that they will accomplish it makes it easier to cheer them on and will assist them in their accomplishment. I don't believe that statement quantifies it. Let's try this: I have "hope" that my friend will return, yet even if he/she doesn't, I have faith that they will be taken care of. Yeah, I think that sums it up better for me. Hope can be easily shattered or discarded. Hope like the word "love" I believe is used too loosely in the world today. When people say "Oh I hope it's me" it's kinda of hollow. Just as saying "I Love You" too often becomes just a habit and not a declaration of true feelings.
I "hoped" that my best friend would understand, would overlook, and pretty much just still be my best friend. However, when hope died, "faith" came to my rescue. I am now comforted to know that through my "faith" that my friend "will" acknowledge the truth of the opposite opinion and until than, protected and cared for. =] That gives me comfort. It doesn't take away the longing or the regret but it does help me continue on and lol - yes, it gives me just a little bit of "hope" again.
Different stupid things are starting in my body. *sigh, no its not the magical age of 40, they were there before - Dr's just didn't hear. Lol, so my body is now SCREAMING at them through me - how rude. ;) Two upcoming Dr appts this week, plus I need to get Anthony's toe looked at again - school starts in a week. Yay - Yippee =P
1 comment:
The BOM talks about Hope as being an assurance, if the hope is anchored in the Lord. Faith and Hope go hand in hand, unless of course one is of the hollow type, like you mentioned. This just came to my mind as I read your post
Alma 58:11 - Yea, and it came to pass that the Lord our God did visit us with assurances that he would deliver us; yea, insomuch that he did speak peace to our souls, and did grant unto us great faith, and did cause us that we should hope for our adeliverance in him.
Post a Comment