Bassology

2008/11/11

Veteran's Day


Proud to be an American..... Yes, I am. My father, having served in the US Military for 25 yrs, his father before him being a Police Officer, instilled in his 8 children a love of country, citizenship, and pride. Do your best, give it your all, be proud of what you've accomplished (but not overly so), than press on.

My father retired from the military when I was 2 yrs old - the end of the Vietnam War. I never had to move as often as my siblings, but only because he was never home to get tired of somewhere that fast. We did go monthly to the Air Force Base here in Utah to grocery shop, renew ID's, regular shop, etc. I grew up loving the sight of a man in uniform. =] Their proud stance, the nobleness it entails, and the unconditional loyalty from whatever is asked of them. Yes I can hear some of you now, not all soldiers are that way - if they are true soldiers, they are and on this Veteran's day, these are the men and women we honor. The men and women who leave their families and country that they serve to live in another foreign land for untold number of months. Never sure if they will return, always hoping for peace, willing to fight for freedom, lacking the comforts of home and family, all so that I can go on my daily routine and not even have to acknowledge (if I don't want) that there is war going on or that there are people who would take away my freedom in the blink of an eye.

Our world is unsettled, in chaos, and turmoil. People fighting other people's rights, not listening to the voice of the people, much is going on. On this day, whether American, Canadian, Australian, whichever country - please take a moment of silence and offer a thanksgiving prayer for those that have fought for you, so that you didn't have to.

No comments: